I've been away for a few weeks (getting married, in case you were curious), so here's a quick roundup of some of the news items about new stores that piled up in the email inbox.
- Hawthorne Retail Partners said Mellow Mushroom plans to open a new, 7,000-square-foot restaurant uptown in the Catalyst development, at West Martin Luther King and South Church Street, near the new Romare Bearden Park. The restaurant will open in late 2013.
- Hawthorne is also negotiating with "one of the world’s largest convenience store
operators" to lease out a 3,700-square-foot space in Catalyst. Uptown 7-11? The store is expected to open by spring 2014.
- And Hawthorne said a 9,000-square-foot Reebok CrossFit gym is slated for Catalyst as well. "Reebok CrossFit Charlotte-Uptown will also feature the fitness brand’s inaugural “pro-shop”
concept that offers the latest CrossFit and fitness products," said Hawthorne. The store and gym are expected to open later this year. Reebok sponsors CrossFit's official games and manufactures its apparel.
- In Myers Park, the Ultra Running Company has signed a lease for the 3,000-square-foot former Paul Simon space on Providence Road. The store, owned by ultra-marathon runner Nathan Leehman, will open later this fall. Merrifield Patrick Vermillion represented Leehman.
- Freshii opened its first Charlotte location Monday, in Overstreet Mall uptown. The store is in the BB&T building. Here's a short description from their website: "Freshii offers a menu of salads, burritos, wraps, rice bowls, yogurts, breakfast and soups made with high-quality, fresh ingredients."