Friday, December 2, 2011

New lighting and furnishings store at Phillips Place

Patty Simpson was a merchant at Interiors Marketplace for 11 years, developing her love of lighting and interior design, before striking out on her own. Last week, she opened Granville at Phillips Place, her first store.

"I was delighted to find this small spot," said Simpson. She searched for a year and a half before settling on the 825-sq.-ft., former Sunglasses Charlotte store.

Granville opened last week, carrying an assortment of antique lamps, candlesticks and chandeliers. Simpson said she buys her antiques from all over Europe.

"I've evolved over many years of loving interiors and homes, searching for that special room," she said. "Lighting just transforms a room."

Simpson signed her lease Sept. 17, and spent the next few weeks in a flurry of gutting and redoing the store. She is currently staffing the store herself, along with two part-time employees.

The current climate of economic uncertainty didn't phase her, Simpson said. "I'm really not worried," she said. "This is a great city, with beautiful homes."

Granville is open Monday through Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to her. :)

I'd like to see a Room and Board store in Charlotte.

David said...

Glad to hear Ms. Simpson is unfazed by the economy and I wish her the best. Hope she feels the same a year from now.

Anonymous said...

Don't just wish her the best - shop there too.

Anonymous said...

I said I liked Room and Board.

If I were wealthy, Roche Bobois.

Not antiques.

Ick.

So she'll have to settle for best wishes.

harriet said...

She's got the most beautiful shop in Charlottle !

Anonymous said...

Granville is an absolutely magical and charming little shop especially in the evening - it has a special glow from the lighting and candles. Lots of beautiful things to look at; I love the mix of old and new. Hope to get there again soon!

Anonymous said...

I wish Granville had a website :( I was visiting and do not live in Charlotte.