With Americans forecast to spend $15.7 billion this Valentine's Day on things such as greeting cards, flowers, restaurant meals and lingerie, retailers are lining up to grab a piece of the action. Here's a very abbreviated list of specials, sales and even a few free deals going on around the day of love.
- Lowe's is offering a free workshop for kids this Saturday, February 12, showing kids how to build a heart-shaped music box from a kit to make a gift for the special someone in their life (most likely mom). Click here for more information.
- Belk's Valentine's sale is underway, with a $10 off $50 purchases, $20 off $100 and $30 off $150 to lure shoppers in, and lingerie and sleepwear marked down 30 percent.
- The Marble Slab ice cream store at StoneCrest shopping center will be giving away its new tiramisu ice cream for free on Valentine's Day. Lenny's Sub Shops in Charlotte are also giving away a coupon on Valentine's Day for a free sub to all of their Facebook fans. Do you know of any other free offers? Post them in the comments section.
- Independent We Stand, a national consortium of independent businesses, is encouraging consumers to shop local this Valentine's Day at store's like Dilworth's Paper Skyscrapers on East Boulevard. That store has handmade cards from five local artists for your loved ones.
- And if you really, really aren't having any luck meeting that special someone in person, don't worry: Paltalk, a video-chat website, is hosting a pre-Valentine's Day singles chat with Diana Falzone, a talk show personality and radio guru at 7 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 13. Participants will be encouraged to ask Falzone questions and "perhaps even meet that special someone."